Oh Em Gee, seriously drooling over my new fave eat: overnight oats.
Honestly, though, overnight oats are just the best. So versatile, cheap and sustaining, they make the perfect meal/ snack (confining oats to breakfast time is wayyyy too conformist, man. Or so I tell myself when I gobble them as a night-time snack).
They can be made ahead of time, so if you’re one of those “can’t-eat-cos-I-got-no-time” type of morning person (the type of person who might just be caught chomping down on two croissants, a pack of crisps and a Coke come 11 AM), then this is the perf brekkie for you. Just grab you oats from the fridge, top with whatever the hell you like, gobble and go. The slow-release energy from the oats will keep you going right up until luncheon, and the fibre will be sure to help push things along in the digestive system, lol (reference here).
The recipe is totally adaptable. You can sub-in/out ingredients to suit any diet (gluten-free/ dairy-free/ vegan/ low sugar/ just totally awkward).
Plus, you can easily double or triple the quantity and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Or be generous and give some to your Mother/ Sibling/ Significant Other/ Dog. Don’t be too surprised when they totally Oliver Twist it, and plead for more, Sir.
Overnight Oats (serves 1)
- 1/3 cup of oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (either dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/3 cup of yogurt of choice (either dairy or non-dairy)
- Anything extra you want!: grated apple, nuts/ seeds, dried fruit, cacao nibs… The possibilities are endless! (I put in 1 TBS chia/ flax/ hemp see mixture, 1 TBS dessicated coconut, 1 TSP of cacao powder, plus a dash of cinnamon, ginger and vanilla essence).
- Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl, cover, and pop in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight
- Serve with your fave toppings… I usually put a handful of Iswari’s Fruits of Love and some berries on top, but get as creative as you want (cacao nibs, strawberries and a dollop of coconut milk, or a banana, almond butter and some cinnamon are some other delish toppings if you need some inspo)
If you liked this recipe, and would like to see more healthy meal ideas, let me know in the comments section below.
Hasta luego! ❤